Google Plus 1

Monday, April 12, 2010

Who Am I – Who Are You?

Do you sometimes wonder if you are real, if the world we live in is real, or are we all part of some virtual reality game being master minded by some alien game master for his or her own purposes?

Do you get the nagging feeling that you’ve been here and done the same thing before?

Do people you just meet remind you of someone you remember or thought you knew?

Are you repeating the same mistakes, having the same emotions, worrying about the same old fears? Thinking the same old thoughts?

How do you know that you are real and not just some bit player in a universal game being controlled by a game master for his or her own entertainment.

Maybe the game master is what we think of as God. How do we know the truth? How can we be sure we are real?

Maybe we are all part of some giant quantum computer simulation. Are new age computer techniques ruling our lives?

Is everything we do preordained? Maybe our lives and our thoughts are being manipulated by a supreme being, but to what purpose?

Are we here merely for his entertainment or do we serve a higher purpose? Why bother with all this scurrying around: falling in and out of love, having children, having illicit affairs, having evil thoughts, trying to make a difference, trying to be successful, searching for recognition, craving acceptance, feeling pain, feeling joy.

If we’re not really here than how can we make a difference?

So many questions and what I really crave are answers, but how do I know that I really want the answers. Maybe the answers are to frightening for us to contemplate. Maybe we don’t want to know the truth.

And whose truth is it? Is its God’s truth? Am I real because I believe in Him?

I like to think I can make choices in my life. The choice I make is to believe in God and believe I’m real. It’s a matter of faith. It’s a matter of personal belief. It’s a matter of religious indoctrination. It’s a matter of spiritual conviction. It’s a matter of how I choose to live my life. It’s my reality.

What other choice do we really have?


Hi, this is Arthur Levine, the author of the novel Johnny Oops. To read more of Johnny’s views please access http://johnnyoops.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment